Young Muslim Voices National Conference
In November 2008 young people from Young Muslim Voices delivered a youth led conference inviting down many key decision makers, Police, Imams, local community leaders as well as youth workers and heads of services. The purpose of the conference was to engage in dialogue with key decision makers, raising awareness of the issues and making recommendations. The event was a raging success and many are on board to take issues forward and look at how young people can link in with decision making. The young Muslim voices report was also launched at the conference.
Issues raised for young people’s by young people
- Policing and criminal justice system
- Access to employment
- Access to training
- Lack of opportunities for girls to engage
- Lack of understanding in community organisations around issues that affect young people
- Access to housing
- Safety (including territorialism, violence)
- Lack of opportunity for young peoples voices to be heard
- Cross borough issues/conflicts
- Media representation/ perceptions of young people
The report and images are attached below!